Friday, January 9, 2009

First few days in Taiwan.

I haven't been here too long. I've mainly been setting up my new room, observing classes, and meeting my dorm mates. I've gotten here in the rainy winter season just before Chinese New Year and during a cold snap. It's been about 50-60 FÂș. I'm still trying to learn Celsius.

I've enjoyed watching classes so far. It's an night time "cram school" for the students to get extra practice in English. I don't know how the children here have so much energy but they are in school until very late – nine or ten at night. I watched the cutest class of ten year olds last night. They were practicing an English introduction of themselves that they will be presenting to their parents soon. They basically said, Hello my name is _______. I am Taiwanese. I am 120 centimeters and 27 kilos. My best friend is ______. My parent are an office worker. and so on. I get the feeling that these classes feel sort of extracurricular and we're directed to keep the lessons really fun. Play games. So far it seems like a dream job, and everyone says as long as you like kids this should be a really fun job. I'm almost in shock that this is what I'm doing, but we'll see how it goes. It's a lot of information but people say after the first month, it all starts making sense.

We might be going to Taipei this weekend. That will be fun. I've seen so many pictures. I can't wait to see it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment