Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Taiwan


I feel overwhelmed trying to explain almost 2 years of living abroad doing something I never thought I'd be doing (teaching English) learning something I never thought I'd be learning (Chinese) in a place I never thought I'd be (the other side of the Earth).

Some of my early memories of Asia were Looney Tunes cartoons where they would dig a whole and out came a person from the other side of the Earth - a stereotypically Asian person (things were much less PC back then, weren't they?).

There is just too much to say about living in a culture and learning to understand a culture that is so different from my own. It brings me back to square one. I'm in Taiwan and it's upside down from where I'm used to being.

I painted an upside down photo of myself from my first night in Taiwan. It's a very concise way of saying that I've turned my world upside down, and it's one of the most unexpected yet worthwhile things I've done in my life so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment